Please CLICK HERE to sign up for email updates from Emtnester.

emtnester

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Seeing Things Clearer After the Haboob

A sandstorm (Haboob) approaching Al Asad, Iraq...Image via WikipediaThanks to all my East Coast relatives and friends who called to see if we had survived the haboob.  Yes, although there is still a thick layer of dried mud splattered on 90% of the windows of my home.  And, I do not feel like spending the several hours, in 105 degree heat, to make them spotless again.  I prefer to think of this as just a part of my energy efficiency program.....keeping the hot rays from entering the home....and lowering my electric bills. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I love the word 'haboob' and will admit that until this week, I had never heard it used.  I don't love it like a 12-year old boy might love the word....ha-BOOB!  But it sounds very middle eastern where their people experience haboobs all the time.  The picture above comes from Iraq from one of our military camps. I love when words sound like the object or the action they represent.  Like lingerie....snot......reprimand.......furious.  Other words are confusing......like linger.  Does that word conjure up relaxing thoughts....."lingering by the pool" or do you attach negative actions like, "the smell of week-old garbage lingered in the kitchen"?  I prefer words that sound like they mean.

And, is my brain covered in dust or did everyone find the 'first Presidential Twitter event' to be as ridiculous and lame, as I did?!  Seriously!  So, the public asked questions using Twitter as their format and then Obama answered them back talking with as many words as he wanted?  How stupid.  They have been doing this on CNN for, what...a decade? 

Before the event, I was thinking, how clever of the President to showcase his amazing abilities to not only address the country's most important issues, but also fit his answers perfectly using 140 characters.  To be able to think on the spot and to know the subject so well that he could try to make each answer in exactly 140 characters.  I have seen people in various fields, (music, theology, guests on NPR) who challenge themselves to have perfect 140 character answers, and it is impressive.  No, the President who collected millions of dollars fundraising and convincing voters to vote for him by his creative use of the social media arena, doesn't even know how to tweet.  He's tweeted twice before.  It's all just a facade.........some young, clever people around him made him seem tech-savvy, but in reality, even John McCain understands social media better! President Obama, here's some advise I used to tell with my kids when they were young:


Never try to act like someone you are not; it will only catch up with you and make you look very foolish. Be proud of who you really are!

(yes.....that IS exactly 140 characters!)

Finally, thanks to the business advisory group I belong to, called Redwood Alliance; I now can see clearly what direction and actions I need to take to strengthen the stability and profitability of my marketing consultant business.   This group is made up of business men and women far more wise and successful than me and every meeting I come out with strategies and suggestions for improving my business. I am thankful to have joined this group!




Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Empty Nester said...

Wow, that had to be intense! I've never experienced any type of sandstorm. Don't really think I want to either! Glad y'all survived it---heck with the windows. At least you have a sandstorm to blame.

Oh, and you are HILARIOUS! I can see where you could read that as being that I walk 17 miles every day BUT, since I am NOT dead, that's 17 miles last week total. LOL It's too dang hot out there right now.

July 11, 2011 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

OMG,I didn't even think about any of my bloggy pals being in the sand storm radius. I'm glad you're alive (after the fact) but sorry your windows are muddled. Get it? Muddled. I slay me (except deep down I know I'm not funny).

July 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home