Please CLICK HERE to sign up for email updates from Emtnester.

emtnester

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

This is NOT a Wedding Report



As I sit in front of my computer screen, hazy from the weight of the wedding sugar cookies and endless glasses of whatever alcoholic drink people brought to me, I can honestly say, that Andy and Kim's was the best wedding.....ever!

I write to you not to share a blow-by-blow accounting of the craziness and happiness that surrounded this particular wedding, but to tell you that as a parent, it is so worth it to get involved in the plans and the chaos of your children's wedding.

I have been an empty nest Mom for three years now.  There are good days and there are devastating days.  And no matter what kind of day who are having, they are always EMPTY of your children.  Of course, this can be considered a good thing, depending on the child and your unique relationship with that child.  I am lucky to have great relationships with all three children at the moment.  I can honestly tell you that I miss them every single day.  I don't cry everyday, but the lump in my throat occurs at least once every single day that goes by without them living under the same roof anymore. 

Getting involved in a child's wedding does have it's negatives: you'll end up spending $$$ and you may end up in an argument about some ridiculous ritual or activity.  So what, everyone's human.  It's what life's all about.  In the end, everyone grows and becomes closer, just as long as everyone gives in at some point.  While my husband might disagree, the money you spend is worth every penny. 

Another negative is when the big event is all over and the last favor or tux has been returned, you can hit a new low.  I think that is where I am now.  Tired, no I take that back, exhausted and trying to get back to work for my clients.  My head is filled with the recent memories of family and friends.  It is a great feeling.  And the pictures take about a month, so just as the memories start to fade, they all will come bouncing back with each still shot taken.

I am happy that the kids allowed me to wallow in the details of their special occasion.  I do not feel at all empty; in fact, I feel filled to the brim with happy emotions.  I am tired to the bone.  I am blessed with a wonderful family, no matter where they now reside. Thank you Andy and Kim and to Jonathan and Laura!  You all are the best and I hope your lives are filled with joy and laughter.      
Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Empty Nester said...

We were involved in our daughter's wedding and there definitely was money spent! But, there were NO arguments whatsoever. Why? Because I wouldn't let anyone else voice their opinions. It was Breezy and BestSonInLawEVER's wedding and theirs alone. And, to be honest, I quite enjoyed telling everyone else to shut-up and stay out of it! LOL

June 1, 2011 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

Aww, I'm glad you got to be involved in the wedding and I'm glad it was the best you've ever been too. You didn't make it to ours or it woulda had some competition. ;)

Jamie and I planned every detail of ours, I feel bad because it hurt my mom's feelings but we did it the way we wanted and didn't answer to anyone.

June 1, 2011 at 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schools of thoughts differ here, don't they? Some like to involve in their kids' wedding arrangements and cherish the love and happiness from the moments forever...whereas, nowadays back here in my country, kids don't allow their parents to be part of their wedding plans at all..I don't know whether times have changed or people...I am glad I helped and allowed my parents to participate and be part of each decision on my wedding!! Hoping the best for you and your kids...TC!

June 2, 2011 at 4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home