Please CLICK HERE to sign up for email updates from Emtnester.

emtnester

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Recording St. Paddy's Day Traditions

Saint Patrick's Day by Enoch BollesImage by bollesbiggestfan1 via FlickrLots of people make extraordinary effort to document and record a family history through pictures and video recordings.  They frame the pictures or put them in a Shutter Fly book.  Special effort is made on important dates such as birthdays, holidays or anniversaries.  I have never been very good with such things.  From my second wedding, we have just one picture of us at the ceremony on the beach in Hawaii, taken from a small camera.  The memories are still very much intact, though.  I am happy to say, that I am a little better with documenting my life experiences through my blog posts.....

I have been writing this blog since August of 2009 and I have recorded two St. Patrick's Day celebrations since then. I think it really shows just how different each year can be. On March 17, 2009's pub crawl:

I spent the day in a semi-drunken state with my husband's co-workers.  It was a tradition with his old boss and we always had a great time. Then, unfortunately I was on a diet on March 17, 2010 so, it was a boring pub crawl (at least for me).

This year, one of our neighbors got up super early and made my group of friends who walk our dogs on the golf course, delicious homemade Irish Coffees  with fresh whipped cream, a little ground nutmeg and green sprinkles on the top (thanks Kevin and Gretchen!).  They were so tasty.  The dogs were all trying to get a taste of the whipped cream, but to no avail.



It's now 9 am and the buzz from the coffee is starting to wear off, and I am wondering what special memories will be made today.  I do not have any planned activities, but sometimes that is when the most fun memories occur.  To be sure, many pictures will be taken of friends getting together to celebrate a holiday most people know very little about.  Memories will be made and recorded so that we can remember and share later in life.  As you get to be older, like this empty nest Mom, the memories sometimes get all jumbled up, so I am thankful I am writing this blog...to help me remember and enjoy the good ole' days!

I think today calls for wearing a big green hat and meeting old and new friends after my work is done.  I'll try to remember to bring the camera and to remember to actually take pictures!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and your family!
Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Empty Nester said...

My memories get jumbled sometimes too. Good thing I'm a fanatic about taking my camera along. Although, now, I mostly take pictures of birds. LOL

March 17, 2011 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

And to you! No grand plans here, the kids are asleep and Jamie is meeting a friend for dinner. He didn't realize today was St Patty's or he wouldn't have gone out. Ha. We are so lame.

We did all wear green shirts today...

March 17, 2011 at 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home