Please CLICK HERE to sign up for email updates from Emtnester.

emtnester

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Changing One's Pace of Life

(Picture taken by my daughter, Laura)

I am finding that the old saying, "When it rains, it pours" has a lot of validity these days. It's as if my 'life button' is like the knob on a spinning bike and it skipped the quarter jump in speed and was turned 180 degrees. And I do not seem to be the controller of my own life knob. It's turning without my blessing or approval or even a simple debate as to which speed I should be going. Maybe it's fate. Maybe, secretly or very deep down, this is the speed at which I want to live my life for the next cycle. Yet, there is considerable trepidation on my part. Parts of me just want to hover under a huge, golf umbrella and let the rain pass. Other parts of me has already put on my rain boots, ready to run and play in the pouring rain. I must say, it is all a little confusing.





Some ways that tell me it's time to change it up and live life at a faster pace:




  • New ideas pop into my head all day long. I will have lunch with people from a company and suddenly I have a fantastic idea for their website and how they can increase their membership for very little cost to them;


  • I get excited about new job prospects and crave the intensity that certain careers demand;


  • I take on too many writing assignments and need to stay up late to get them finished;


  • My heart is racing (not in an unhealthy way) and I can feel the adrenaline flowing through my veins;


My resistance to this new pace is as follows:





  • I worry that I will miss the relaxed time I spend with my dog and neighbors;


  • When I used to work for my past employer, I would jump in and be 110% devoted to my projects and the company. Sometimes, my family and the housework, etc would get neglected.


I am just going to have to monitor what is going on and make sure to take care of all those people around me. These are exciting times, if not a little scary. Wish me luck.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Good luck! Reading your blog makes me feel like I am still in town, seeing and/or talking to you often. See you in a couple of weeks!

March 19, 2009 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

Wow, I'd like to have at least half of your motivation! I'm glad things are looking up for you, how exciting!

March 19, 2009 at 7:29 AM  
Blogger June said...

hang in there. Good things always happen to good people like you!

March 19, 2009 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger Warner said...

I've come to accept that the speed at which things happen is usually beyond our control. The universe runs on its own timetable, not mine. I have learned to appreciate the slower times for what they really are - blessings in disguise that give us permission to smell the roses, take the circuitous route and enjoy the trip - more than arriving at the destination. My comfort in the slow times comes from my deep-seated faith that the Universe knows what I need, when I need it. If I embrace my faith, the rest takes care of itself. I don;t advocate lounging all day, but I guard against the other extreme by resisting the natural temptation to speed things up beyond their natural pace - just because. Enjoy the slow times, because the pace will surely step up again, maybe faster than we'd want!

March 19, 2009 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger Petra a.k.a The Wise (*Young*) Mommy said...

well, good luck to you with all that's going on! I also have a lot on my plate and it is making me very nervous!

March 19, 2009 at 3:34 PM  
Blogger Jenni Jiggety said...

Good luck! It's allll about balance!

March 19, 2009 at 5:59 PM  
Blogger Raf said...

i envy your drive! looks like you won't have much time to get addicted to facebook though!

March 19, 2009 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

This sounds like my job! I truly could not do this job (nonprofit development) if I still had kids at home with their various sports schedules and such. My mind runs constantly, but regular workouts, movies, and good reads keep me sane.

March 21, 2009 at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home