Please CLICK HERE to sign up for email updates from Emtnester.

emtnester

Monday, February 9, 2009

Walking in the Dark

It's funny how being up at 3:00 am in the morning can bring forth so many of life's unanswered questions. Last night was one of those kind of evenings for me. I forgot to take the melatonin pill or the Tylenol pill and my body and brain apparently thinks I only need 5 hours of sleep. I don't want to take a serious sleeping pill, like Ambien, because states like Arizona have started keeping a master list of prescription drug users and that's one list I don't care to be associated with. Also, I don't want to turn out like Nancy W. Kappes and start writing posts like her letters to Jenny at The Bloggess (although, I would apparently have a much larger following on my blog).

Last night included folding of clean clothes, dishes, and planning of recipes for my sister's upcoming visit. After this fun-filled middle-of-the-night affair, I turn off all the lights because I think I need to kinder to the world and use less electricity and fumble my way through the hall back to bed. I start taking steps like I'm a concubine from China or something. My feet only spread apart 12 " inches per step. Why is it that when the lights out and it's dark that we cannot take regular-sized steps? I also lose all ability to walk with confidence simply because I cannot see what lies ahead in a house I've lived in and haven't changed the furniture around in for almost 8 years. We are so dependant on our sight senses that we are actually impaired!

So, I decide at 5:45 am, that I must practice and build up my ability to function better without seeing. I walk to Andy's old room. I forget that I moved the big square coffee table in there and now I have a lovely bruise on my left shin. I turn the corner to get the heck out of there and hit the wall. But, I am starting to get my night vision so I start to cheat. I maneuver into the living room, inching my way towards bed because I have determined that this is a pointless exercise and want to get some sleep. If I go blind, then I'll be like everyone else in this predicament and learn to walk without sight at that time. We never practice and do the things we should do until we have to:

Like saving money. Saving for a rainy day or when the Democrats get elected into office or when your company goes belly up. That's just the way life is...I guess....

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Captain Dumbass said...

Those letters from Nancy are impressive. I can move around my house like a ninja. Until I step on a piece of Lego.

February 9, 2009 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Will your sister be here for the CAbi show? I can't wait to meet her!

February 10, 2009 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger The Stiletto Mom said...

Hate walking in dark...hate hate. I usually step on the cat and end up bleeding.

February 10, 2009 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger labrams said...

What's "saving"? Haven't been able to do that for a decade now, nor can I seem to sleep past 3:00 or 4:00am, (up contemplating life and always worried about the next incoming dollar). Hummm, wonder if they're related?

February 10, 2009 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger Sprite's Keeper said...

I'm not a fan of walking around in the dark. Spiders are, but I reject them as a whole and therefore reject the dark.

February 10, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home