Just How Unique Are You?
Really, if you think about it, it's almost impossible to be unique these days. For instance:
1) I'm divorced (so are 50 % of the adult population);
2) I have an amicable divorce (probably 25% of the divorced folks can say that);
3) I have lived in 10+ places in my life (we are a transient nation);
4) I find humor in most situations (ask blogrankings and they'll tell you I am somewhere in the middle of a large pack of humor finding people);
5) I'm remarried (big whoopee, lots of people remarry);
6) I've married twice to guys with the name Bill (now you're getting somewhere....);
7) I've been the breadwinner, the breadspender and the breadbaker in this family, at various times (adds some depth....)
8) I have a great family (lucky me, but lots of other folks claim this as well);
9) I have a football-shaped birthmark on my right hip (interesting, but very few studies on birthmark shapes leaves this area of unknown uniqueness);
10) I easily tire of writing lists like this one (most bloggers who do memes understand this one!).
So, it's time to digress. Is it important to be unique as a blogger? The answer can go both ways. You want to be unique (think Jenny, The Bloggess) where people are able to say, "she's hysterical" because you 'get her' and you relate to her on some level. If you are truly unique, probably people would read your blog and say, "I don't get it", never to return. Maybe all the truly unique bloggers quit writing after a year because no one reads their blog. I guess the correct answer is one should strive to be somewhat unique.
I think we are taught at an early age to be unique and we try to be unique but come to the realization when we are ancient (like me) that this is a goal we can never really achieve. We've been chasing after a fairy tale. And, I bet if my daughter who's a freshman in college right now were asked that question, she would come up with a answer immediately and without hesitation.
For you, I will venture out today with the goal of doing something unique. Who knows....I just may get dressed before noon today. Any thing's possible. At least when you can see the positive and humor in anything like I can you know the day's going to be fun and worthwhile. I will use my unique quality to the fullest today. Lookout world, here I come!