Please CLICK HERE to sign up for email updates from Emtnester.

emtnester

Friday, October 24, 2008

My Favorite Things

It's now 3:23 am. I started to write this post a minute ago, at 2:45 am. Not exactly sure where the time went, but I guess the old saying, "time flies when you are having fun" applies in this case.

I shouldn't complain. I have slept through the night for about 4 nights in a row. Still, waking up at 12:49 am leaves me with lots of time to decide what I should do from my list of favorite things to do in the middle of the night:

Stalking other blogs (see your comments and the times posted)

Vacuuming: Too loud

Laundry: Only do laundry on weekends on off-peak times (doesn't that kill those of you with little kids?!)

Walking the neighborhood: Not a good idea because we have a mountain lion roaming our neighborhood and there are always the pesky havalinas to deal with, too.

Having a glass of wine: Probably the reason why I woke up at 12:45 am to begin with, so I think I'll pass.

Send out emails to Mom and sister: Don't want them to worry about my sanity, so I might compose the email, but not send them until a decent hour (if I'm awake at that time).

House Cleaning: I'm not THAT crazy!

Read the articles in the paper that I passed on the first go-round: No; I need to trust my judgment.

Listen to the Song, "Hide and Seek" from my Playlist on my 'Daily Distractions' page, over and over until I figure out what it's about. (I am reserving 4-5 am for this task).

Right before I went to sleep, I had one of those uncontrollable feelings of loneliness about missing my kids that have left the nest. You may know what I talking about. Suddenly without any notice, your heart is beating in your throat and it hurts and your eyes fill up with big elephant tears. It lasts for about 5 minutes or so. And then you fall asleep. I think there is definitely a connection between this reaction and the amount of sleep that follows this event. And maybe there is some reason I need to understand the words of the song "Hide and Seek", too. It's all a little too much for this empty nest Mom.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, a mountain lion? That's scary. I know the joys of being up at all hours too, I can never sleep (paranoid about someone breaking in and taking the kids). I lay there trying like hell to sleep but the more I try the less I sleep. Sorry you're going through empty nesting. The kids will be back around (money, laundry, comfort) but I know that doesn't make it feel any better right now... hope you finally got some sleep!

October 24, 2008 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger Lisa Eshelman said...

Having teenage kids I wake up at one or two in the morning and immediately panic wondering where my kids are. Taking a mental inventory of where they were suppose to be. I see now that this feeling does not go away when they move away.

October 24, 2008 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger steenky bee said...

It's so true. Just because the kiddies are gone, you don't stop worrying about them do you? You better get some sleep as the kids will return for help with laundry and food. Trust me. I once sent a bag of laundry home with a pal from college.

October 24, 2008 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger beth said...

Steenky Bee: You made me laugh, even on this sleep-deprived day! I bet your college pals' Mom LOVED you!

October 24, 2008 at 1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So strange, wine always seems to work for me! :) Maybe because I don't stop at just one glass!

October 24, 2008 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger CelloBella said...

Wine is the hardest to give up...

How are you going with the HASAY thing?

October 24, 2008 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger The Stiletto Mom said...

Darnit, now I have to go hug my kids again which happens every time I read your blog and you mention your kids!! I swear I look at them (10 and 7) and flip out at least once a week dreading when I don't have them following me around all day. I hope I still know you when the time comes for me so you can talk me off the ledge!!!

October 25, 2008 at 12:59 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I sleep much better with my sons away than when they were home. I live near a hospital, and hear sirens a lot late at night before I go to sleep. I rest peacefully knowing my kids aren't involved.

You did the irght thing, though, Just lying in bed, tossing and turning, is never good. Why not make good use of the time?

October 25, 2008 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I am already not looking foward to those days, Beth...and I know they are going to be here before I know it!

October 26, 2008 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger Sprite's Keeper said...

Ah, sweetie, if I had insomnia, my house would probably be clean and finally painted! I sleep like the dead! Can we switch?

October 26, 2008 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger June said...

I think you need to get that lavender spray for the pillow to help you sleep.

October 27, 2008 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger steenky bee said...

Oh, honey? Are you still vacumming? It's time to unplug that thing. I hadn't seen a post over here for a while and I just stopped by to make sure you hadn't eaten a bunch of candy corns, got a sugar high and then cleaned for days. It appears I am too late. Sigh.

October 30, 2008 at 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Beth: We should call each other. I have been up between 2 & 3 am since my son passed away. I seriously think it is him who wakes me up as he woke me up at 2:30 the last night he spent with us. Talk about crocodile/elephant tears and the ultimate empty nest. I spend my time talking to him all night until I doze off at 5:00 am only to be startled by the alarm at 6:30 - although groggy, grateful for another day to celebrate with my beautiful daughters. I know my son is resting and peaceful. I love your site and so happy for you! I will visit soon and share a "lighter" comment. I see the weirdest movies on HBO at 2:00 am! Deep distrubing off the wall subjects - you might try it next time your up.

November 3, 2008 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger beth said...

To Anonymous: Glad you're here! I'll try the late night movies. And, I know your son's in a good place and will be thinking of your family next time I'm up in the middle of the night.

November 4, 2008 at 5:19 AM  
Blogger Julie!! said...

Whenever i feel like that... the only way to feel better is to cry. I put on my favorite song... you're gonna miss this by trace adkins... cry for that whole song... and force myself to stop when it is over and then take a nice long shower and then trust me you will fell alot better... try it next time :)

November 8, 2008 at 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home